Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2009, 15:22
Re: The weak forum project..
Jan 20, 2009, 15:16
shanshee_allures wrote:
There is a uniquenss here, a fine balance to be got but I do not think many of us here have that much of an depth a knowledge or even the will to fully go into any *really* heavy discussion on Israel etc.

True of now, not the way U-Know used to be however. There was a time a few years ago when a thread on Israel, and the protests against the actions in Gaza would have been a very large thread indeed.

shanshee_allures wrote:

I don't even think the nature of the site would accomodate it that well, thankfully. I don't see that as 'weak' at all. We can opinionate, sure. TBH, I do like posts that don't particularly rely on 'links' to validate their existence and the odd tangent here and there is ok. Those that do are of course essential to debate also. Damn it man, dunno what yer moaning about quite frankly;)

Links to validate them. What ? Are you saying that posts with nothing to back them up are preferable ? seriously ? You prefer posts like the one locodogz recently posted where he plucked figures from his imagination to justify himself ? Or are you saying you prefer to take posts on face value, believe them, and don't expect the poster to actually prove or substantiate their argument ?

Personally I always want to see the data. Give me the data. Now. Shoot it, all over my face...er... etc..

I pretty much agree theres nothing worth moaning about, this place is pretty much dead as a serious political forum (I'll say again, that is what its supposed to be). I no longer see any difference between this forum and the village pump. I mean, even the post subjects and discussion regularly crossover a lot between here and there.

From my own standpoint, and seeing which threads here generate the most posts, and what the consensus opinion is on any given subject.. it's all a bit of a priveleged discussion fora innit ? Thats natural for any forum in the first world tbh. However, if this forum was a class it would be the extremely privileged end of the middle, which again isn't surprising, and arguably thats not a negative conclusion either I suppose. But, to reiterate, the concerns and interests here are not by any stretch meeting Merricks original purpose as a forum to discuss righteous direct action.

Yeah, I know, the U-know forum description has been a bit toned down since then. My point remains though, why on earth post about anything here when you may as well post in the Village Pump for exactly the same discussion.

I can't remember when you joined Shansee but I figure you missed the renaming of the Village Pump, it used to be just called Head to Head. Holy was pissed about the general silliness, and the dumb irrelevant posts there and he wanted to delete the forum entirely. He backed down and renamed it the Village Pump as a place where the village idiots could meet each other and talk crap. Oh, and er, to clarify, I was definitely viewed as one of the idiots back then anyroad :D Point is, things have been changed here in the past, so it's not beyond possible for things to change again.

Unsung and TMA are the forums here that make the place. The village pump now is like any general discussion forum on any other site. I reckon U-Know should just go, as what goes on here would adequately fit into the Pump, along with all the silliness and jokes we post there too. I mean, this is the slowest forum on this site, it's never been particularly zippy, but it's slowing down to nothing. I also think, much like Holy used to about the old H2H forum that this forum (U-Know) makes the place look embarassing.

I'm going to get a slap for back seat modding from holy now, I know it. ;)

Edit : KC has unwittingly proved this point with his multi forum post 'Keep it LOUD', check the reply counts.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index