Topic View: Flat | Threaded
medisin
medisin
31 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2008, 14:23
Re: Vote Obama
Oct 03, 2008, 14:14
handofdave wrote:
American politics can be argued and debated all day long, but at the end of it those ballots have GOT to be in favor of Obama, regardless of the potential for the Democrats to choke on the giant mess they will inherit.

As someone who can't actually vote in the election I still wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment - not only for the benefit it would bring to the US but for its global significance (US politics may come from the White House, but they have a valid - and much used - passport)

There may be a 'better' candidate out there but right now it's a straight choice between Obama and McCain as to who is going to be president. I have American friends that loathe the Republicans but are still thinking in terms of voting for an independent candidate. This is dangerous logic as far as I'm concerned. As you say, priority number one is getting the Republicans out of office. Who replaces them has to be secondary. Given that Obama is the only candidate remotely likely to do that, a vote for anyone else come Nov 4th is effectively a vote for McCain. Idealism is a luxury neither America nor the world can afford right now. 'Hope' may be an empty term, but it's a lot more palatable than 'darn right'.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index