64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Bonzo the Cat
Bonzo the Cat
138 posts

Re: The Jamie Oliver Swindle -
Jan 30, 2008, 22:13
I think two things (actually quite a bit more usually, but it's evening):

(a) Yes, the quality food is only for the rich; I once posted something about that. Ecologically sound and healthy food costs money if one tries to sell it as mass consumption products. I mean, if you're gonna have a decently bred chicken, then moving it through your classic distribution channels is gonna rocket the price. The whole point of sound food is that there's less distance between breeder and consumer. In other words, the only way to make good food affordable is by trying to cut down on intermediates, which brings me to my second point.

(b) People should start to accept that one can't eat anything at anytime. I mean, people used to eat less meat, because meat was expensive (still is, but less so than it used to be). Now everybody wants a chicken, but nobody wants to raise one. And mass-production covers that... But a carrot, besides being, as Beefheart said, "as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond", are cheap. Season vegetables. Seasonal, local food.

I hear you saying, yes, but us ordinary folk can't eat the luxury stuff then, can we? And then I have to think about this Dutch writer who once said that Das Kapital could be summarised in two words: "More Money". well no, not everybody can have everything, it's simple. But that doesn't mean we have to accept that. On the contrary.

I hear often people say that the old politics are dead, that this whole class thing is backward. I don't need to convince anyone on this forum, but the class struggle, ancient concept, has never left us but just takes on new disguises. And it's being fit in those disguises deliberately.

What this whole food issue is, is nothing more or less than a genuine class struggle. It is a symptom of the failure to redistribute wealth, and an illustration of the way the less well-off classes are kept in the illusion that they are not so bad off, while in fact, while they may have tomatoes in winter, just like the rich, those of the poor have no taste.

Arf!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index