The Jamie Oliver Swindle -

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: The Jamie Oliver Swindle -
Jan 30, 2008, 15:16
[I'm of the opinion that we've extended lifespans to our own peril, actually. Westerners, 'specially Americans, are terrified of death and go to insane (and insanely expensive) medical lengths to extend life, even far beyond the point where life is worth living. Witness the Terry Schiavo case a few years back... this idea that keeping a human vegetable going at a cost of millions of dollars out of some misguided 'sanctity of human life' ideology is bonkers.

The west is, as we speak, facing a geriatric tidal wave that's going to suck up vast sums of wealth that'd be better spent on someone else who isn't waiting around to die. Why are we pouring billions into surgery to keep 80 year old patients alive another year or two?

Obviously, as far as diet goes, it'd be better if people weren't gulping down vast quantities of crap food, but people who are obsessed with what they eat are prey to hucksters who're lining their pockets.

I don't do much shopping at the health food stores. I simply can't afford it, for one. It's clear that the 'healthy food' industry targets affluent consumers who can absorb the inflated prices.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index