The Jamie Oliver Swindle -

64 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: The Jamie Oliver Swindle -
Jan 30, 2008, 15:33
handofdave wrote:

The west is, as we speak, facing a geriatric tidal wave that's going to suck up vast sums of wealth that'd be better spent on someone else who isn't waiting around to die. Why are we pouring billions into surgery to keep 80 year old patients alive another year or two?

It's a quoestion of 'distribution of wealth'. I haven't got a clue how we distribute wealth without it ensuing in one big riot.

You could however extend that logic to say, the likes of the guy my partner works with. He can't speak (can fortunately walk), has to have his food mashed, is doubly incontinent, and just sits and merrily squalks all day. He is only 25, needs 24 hour care (which will cost a hell of a lot), but is about as much 'use' to this place as say a dying 80 year old. But he has a life, albeit extremely limited by most people's experience of it.

We are dead forver, and I believe everyone deserves a life, for as long as they can relatively enjoy it. At the same time, I'm all for voluntary euthanasia too, so long as it can be strictly governed of course.

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index