Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: It's all circles !
Aug 15, 2011, 18:30
GLADMAN wrote:
tiompan wrote:
I can see that as being questioning in some conservative countries but here in the west ? It was the norm for much of my grandparents generation . I was expecting something to do with archaeology .

Clearly it depends where you're from. It was most certainly NOT the norm for my grandparents... or my parents, for that matter. And by all accounts they were far from unusual. One of my Dad's brothers was a christain missionary in Africa, one sister worked in the church and another is a deeply committed believer. My Dad himself refuses to discuss the possibility of there not being a God and refused to watch a film on Darwin recently....

I was simply allowed to believe what I wanted (liberal atheists ) but if I had decided to become a priest there would'nt have be any complaints .
Most of my school friends and their parents just didn't consider it , although some of the younger Catholic kids and their parents clearly did .In the 30's it would be dificult to find too many christians involved in archaeology at the academic level , today there are probably more .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index