The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
It's all circles !

112 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: It's all circles !
Aug 14, 2011, 10:48
I read a number of years back of a theory suggesting the first stone circles came about by farmers marking the perimeters of flattened crop caused by spiral vortexes.... quite a common summer phenomenon in areas where escarpment edges disrupt airflow. Although I've never seen one actually flatten crop in real time , I've seen a few highlighted by spiralling chaff and felt some moving past... invisible mini tornadoes. For an ancient farmer to have seen one in action would no doubt have blown his mind with thoughts of visitation by spirits etc. 'Must record this moment and lock in the power' by demarcating the space. Apparently perfect egg-shaped rings can also be obtained in this manner - without the need for Thom's mathematical theories - as the vortex shifts its axis.

I've therefore no problem whatsoever with simple crop circles as a natural phenomenon and with them being intrinsically linked with human ritual going back to the dawn of civilisation - the first fields of cultivated crops. The complex geometric crop circles are another matter... some are obviously simply wondrous artificial artistic statements, whatever the artist is trying to say. Others currently defy explanation.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index