Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: It's all circles !
Aug 14, 2011, 15:31
The Sea Cat wrote:
Howburn Digger wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
... whether there is a natural explanation, or indeed some extra terrestrial element involved.

Extra terrestrials involved?

Please elaborate... We need to be told.

(Its just that I recently acquired "The Ultimate Alien and Predator Collection" DVD boxset (for £7 delivered!). Let me assure you those creatures were not fiddling about with fields of ripening cereal. Nor did they appear to be arty or creative types.)

Why not ? It is a possibilty. It's pretty preposterous philisophically and statistically speaking to assume that we alone are the only sentient life in this vast universe, let alone multiverses, alternate realities etc. You never know. The right wormhole and a quick shimmy around Silbury for a refuel and leave a thankyou note in a field whilst you're at it. If you an extra terrestrial hoody boy racer, some of them might be quite vulgar if decoded correctly.

I didn't assume anything. I don't know whether the alternate realities/ multiverse wormholes you refer to exist. Neither do you. Nor do I deny you your right to believe in them. But to suggest that imaginary species of aliens coming from these imaginary places are making corn circles seems to be stretching things a bit.

It is a possibility that in an alternate reality/ multiverse connected by a possible wormhole that my copy of Lori And The Chameleons "The Lonely Spy" 7" isn't warped. But in the reality I live in, that lovely vinyl is certainly warped. But I don't blame Tinkerbell for the damage. Or the Oompa - Loompas. Even the distant possibility that in an "alternate reality" somewhere down a wormhole in a multiverse far, far away - Tinkerbell might actually exist and may have made her way to Lanarkshire to my neglected record collection and warped my precious Zoo 7" incher seems to be stretching things a bit.

I've seen TV reports with people who go out and make corn circles. They did one on The One Show last week. They show us exactly how it is done. They've been showing us for years. Just like Thom's "Megalithic Yard" there actually is a "Corn Circle Plank" from which pretty much all of the dimensions of all corn circles can be measured.
I've seen "videos" purporting to show corn circles "appearing" in a blur - they were all fakes.

I recall a particularly lovely close encounter on Newsnight a few years back. The "astrologer" Russell Grant was going head to head with Richard Dawkins with Paxman at the controls. Grant was emitting warm clouds of stuff about spirit guides, angels and how he could read peoples futures in percieved patterns of stars. Dawkins questioned Grant about Grant's claim to have predicted Princess Diana's death (but told no-one). Grant rebuked Dawkins for "not believing him". Dawkins pretty much stopped the show by saying that he "didn't believe in fairies either".
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index