4670 posts

Re: Elephants & tigers & hens & other Tory targets
Nov 15, 2010, 09:41
The Sea Cat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
I think on a national level the Tories can most certainly be blamed for an ideology that gladly and deliberately promotes a principle of a twisted brute priviledge survival ethos of the economic fittest at the expense of the vulnerable and un-priviledged. It's a matter of degrees, and not comparison, in my opinion. Morally abhorrent and utterly disgraceful.

Can't agree. The Tories were out of power for a decade or so and I fail to see what improvement there was in that time? Quite the contrary, if my friends in the NHS are to be believed. My personal view of a decade of Labour government is that is was a complete and utter disgrace, cynically manipulating law to enhance control of the masses. Bevan must be turning in his grave. I really, really hope Labour can provide a viable alternative again, but there needs to be a major rethink. Class war will get us nowhere.

I have spent the last 12 years working in different areas of social welfare via charities, specifically mental health/learning disabilities/homelesness. The resources that were quite rightly directed in that direction, by Supporting People, under Labour, for all their other justifiable faults, now no longer exist due to it being farmed out to local councils with a 'fuck off and get on with it attitude'. I see it everyday. People scared, vulnerable, fucked or get fucked on the way soon. It's way beyond 'class war' on that level, it's Moral War. It's very hard to give ongoing support, as is part of my job, to someone with mental health issues, for example, who has spent two years on a housing waiting list, living in a hostel, who has just secured independent living accommodation because they genuinely cannot work, to find that everything they have so desperately being trying to achieve, a fundamental right to a decent humane lifestyle, could/will be taken away because they are deemed 'fit' to work by these cunts. I have never witnessed real fear on a daily basis until the last couple of months. Real Fear.

Strong stuff said with real passion. I admire you for saying it, well done.

Thanks Sanctuary. I do relief work at the moment as I also do other work from home (when I post here) and the genuine concern amongst all my colleagues and other staff in related services as to what's coming is palpable, as is the growing fears of so many vulnerable people who had previously, with time, work and patience, been able to get out of this on going cycle of homelessness/dependency and establish a fundamental basic quality of life that everyone is entitled to in a civilised society. Well, all this has just been deliberately and callously flushed down the drain, for ever, if they get their way. Shop doorways will be at a premium as we descend into the modern equivalent of a Victorian social system.

This was shown to full effect last night in The Secret Millionaire. Little centres set up by caring folk in virtual backstreets putting their own lives on hold to care for the needy and desperate. The husband who was 'losing' his dear wife to dementia and without the intervention of a young volunteer once a week could not leave his wife alone and go out of the house. My own wife is a care worker and the more I hear the more depressing it all becomes.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index