141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Elephants & tigers & hens & other Tory targets
Nov 14, 2010, 12:44
GLADMAN wrote:
We can just keep plugging away.... teach your children to love animals BUT in a worldly-wise manner. If a fox was destroying a farmer's poultry farm is he justified in shooting it? Perhaps. But I'd defend the fox to my last breath against a tally ho hunt for nothing other than 'sport'. Bastards. Buy free range eggs and apply pressure to supermarkets to only source from farms that do things right. Money makes people sit up and listen. Is vegetarianism the answer? For some, perhaps, yes. But natural evolution has provided me with processing and digestive systems (incisor teeth, one stomach etc) to live on a mixed diet and I do not have the arrogance to decide I know best and millions of years of nature devising the 'best fit' is wrong.

I live on a farm. I have seen what a fox does to a field of new lambs or a paddock of hens. A frenzy of slaughter and carnage. Foxes are difficult to shoot and they often escape wounded to die slow deaths.
There never was "tally ho" sport hunting of the fox in my part of Scotland but a farmer, a couple of dogs and a gun kept the lid on foxy problems. The problem came when those couple of farmer's dogs got included in the ban of horsey toffs "pack hunting" of the fox by New Labour - who hated the countryside and everyone who lived and worked there.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index