Living Heritage Threat

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Elephants & tigers & hens & other Tory targets
Nov 14, 2010, 12:00
vivid wrote:
I feel impotent in the face of such indifference to the suffering of farm, circus etc. animals.

Well, Bobby Roberts has packed in for the Winter but next year he's bound to visit your area, you could always go and have a word with him.

As for the Tories and cruelty, that's part of the mindset isnt it? Me, me, me.
I bet 99% of diagnosed psychopaths always vote for them.

;)[/quote]

I'd have thought blaming 'The Tories' for just another example of humankind's blatant inhumanity towards anything and everything when it gets the chance is somewhat selective, to say the least - particularly when we've just had about the most appalling Labour government in living memory, led by arguably one of the most unbalanced men you could ever have the misfortune to meet in 'Mr' Blair... not to mention his unelected - ahem - friend.

Both Hitler's and Stalin's regimes (as obvious examples) - at opposite ends of the political spectrum - showed what can happen when people are let off the leash. How those SS 'officers' - many educated men with doctorates etc) - could return to their wives and children after a shift at the concentration camp is utterly beyond my comprehension. Totalitarianism, authoritarian governments are therefore the real enemy and Labour took us a significant way along that path without people seeming to realise... if you don't agree with us you are the enemy.... Only if we, as as species, can one day actually treat our fellow humans with due respect will the rest will follow. Perhaps we are trying to run before we can walk, which is why we keep falling over? We need to identify the divisions - religion is perhaps the most obvious - and work on reducing these. A glacially slow process.

In my opinion we will never be able to erradicate animal cruelty with human populations spiralling out of control, no thanks to the pope and his ilk. We can just keep plugging away.... teach your children to love animals BUT in a worldly-wise manner. If a fox was destroying a farmer's poultry farm is he justified in shooting it? Perhaps. But I'd defend the fox to my last breath against a tally ho hunt for nothing other than 'sport'. Bastards. Buy free range eggs and apply pressure to supermarkets to only source from farms that do things right. Money makes people sit up and listen. Is vegetarianism the answer? For some, perhaps, yes. But natural evolution has provided me with processing and digestive systems (incisor teeth, one stomach etc) to live on a mixed diet and I do not have the arrogance to decide I know best and millions of years of nature devising the 'best fit' is wrong.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index