Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet
Jul 07, 2009, 16:08
nigelswift wrote:
Aaaaaaanyway... As I was saying...

Aye, well said Goff. No manufactured collision of interests or re-run of the famous Cheltenham WI/Mother's Union riots of '86 where pugnacious mobs met within 50 yards of each other, just two lots of people having a nice time as usual with no-one generating any ill feelings from the sidelines. Jeez!

This made me smile, thank you Nigel - you may be surprised to hear this is the first I have heard of the Cheltenham WI/Mother's Union riots of '86 (were you there).

I wondered if you made this point in response to my earlier post.

quote:
Because the Megameet picnic has been arranged for August 1st when the Lammas celebrations take place (also a Saturday) it was inevitable that there would be a meeting of interests - or perhaps even a collision. The pagan ceremonies do tend to dominate the SE quadrant of Avebury Henge while they are taking place. I personally would choose to avoid Avebury at this time as I prefer to tread quietly around Avebury and go there at quieter times.
endquote:

I agree the point I was making was slightly ambiguous as I was mainly referring to the different pagan groups that gather from around mid-day onwards, especially outside the Red Lion. We already know that druid and wiccan circles are meeting, and I think more than one druid circle meet there. The worst scenario is that you may have to wait longer to be served in the pub.

As I said in my previous post, peace - and wishing all an enjoyable day.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index