2009 Avebury Megameet
This topic is locked

Pages: 22 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

2009 Avebury Megameet
Feb 07, 2008, 16:26
If this is WAY too "far in advance," I apologize and it can be taken down. But you can see from this how far in advance Loie and I need to plan! (Her work schedule and our budget necessitate.)

We are, as mentioned in the 2008 Megameet post, in the throes of planning Driving the Stone Age VIII: Turkey. If all goes well, sometime in the summer of 2009 we will visit The Standing Stones of Kalecik and Nemrut Dagi (not prehistoric but what the heck), Cayonu, Gobekli Tepe and Karahan Tepe, Catal Huyuck; and the Turkish museums containing artifacts from these (and of course other Meso- and Neolithic) sites. Note I say "summer," that is, June, July or August.

Considerations of weather and the dates when the archaeological sites will be open dictate the summer. What we'd like to ask, or propose, is that the 2009 Megameet be held in the summer, so that we could attend on the way BACK from DtSA VIII, and give the Meet a report, or at least have some way to show photos, etc. on DtSA VIII. Perhaps that's too much to hope for? The sites we plan to visit are not "megalithic," so might be beyond the purview of this site and the interests of this group.

If there's any interest in such a schedule, or if it's an imposition, please let us know. If there IS any interest, we'll do our best to coordinate with y'all.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: 2009 Avebury Megameet
Feb 07, 2008, 16:43
If there IS any interest, we'll do our best to coordinate with y'all.

Excellent! Sounds like a great idea :-)
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 18:29
Woooooo, Catal Huyuck! Can I come?
BuckyE
468 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 19:42
Sure. And we expect to spend plenty of time in the Konya and Ankara museums looking at all the stuff Mellart dug up at CH. Except I'm not lugging your video gear.

We have assurances from the travel agent arranging the trip she has contacts among archaeologists who might be persuaded to show us the sites. We'll see. She doesn't seem in the least phased by our requests to see these oddball places.

A "tour" of about ten days has been quoted at $3,100 a person for two people, supposedly including lodging, breakfasts, entrance fees, a full time guide and driver for the Eastern portion of the trip and all transportation (some by the private driver and vehicle, some by plane.) Excluding air to or from Istanbul, meals other than breakfast, shopping, drinking, and other incidentals.

We think it would be possible to do it less expensively, on our own. But given the logistics of travel in the East, our hesitance to drive a lot in Turkey, the possible waste of time given problems in finding sites and other screwups, and our lack of infinite time to noodle around Turkey solving logistical problems, we're probably going to go the "luxury" route as outlined above.

I'm hoping this will be the DtSA trip to cap all DtSAs!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 21, 2008, 07:01
Hi Bucky,
Just to assure you we haven't forgotten your request and of course the Megameet can be fitted in to a date that ensures you can get there. Judging by the postcards you and Loie have so kindly sent me you're currently gawd knows where but if we can liaise by email towards Christmas we can announce a suitable date at that time.
amd
28 posts

Nov 22, 2008, 00:13
Hi BuckyE, look forward to seeing you again in 2009 - you missed out on a t-shirt this year!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 23, 2008, 12:03
Brilliant idea! And I'll especially want to hear everything about Gobekli Tepe and Catal Huyuck. Let us know your dates when you have them.
J
x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 04, 2008, 22:20
Thanks from me too for the postcard Mr & Mrs B.

Guess you're back home now sorting out photos and stuff. Don't forget though that we hope to see you both in Avebury for next year's Megameet - as well as hearing all about your forthcoming visit to Turkey :-)
BuckyE
468 posts

Dec 15, 2008, 18:15
We may have been misinformed. The travel agent we asked about DtSA VIII told us Gobekli Tepe was most accessible for visits during the summer months. But the official word from DAI Orientabteilung is that September and October are the working months, hence the best for visits. ("Unfortunately we can not tell at this moment, when a team will be at Göbekli in 2009. That decision will be made only in November/December this year, the usual months for excavation being september/october.")

I have requested a confirmation of that, and am waiting for a reply. At the moment we're assuming we'll be trying to go to Turkey in the fall of 2009. September and October being perhaps not the most congenial time to visit beautiful and mythic Wiltshire, weatherwise, perhaps it is best that we not try to coordinate the Megameet with DtSA VIII. Sorry for all the confusion! This darned trip planning is a bit rough over the Internet.

We would still like to invite any interested parties to join us for Turkey. (Assuming we ever can figure it out!) The price quoted by the agent we contacted seemed very reasonable, and might even be slightly less per person for a larger group.
BuckyE
468 posts

Dec 15, 2008, 18:28
And I probably should mention the proposed itinerary for DtSA VIII will probably change. Cayonu is overgrown, with nothing to see. We may not get to the Kaliceck stones, as they are far east with no other sites in the area. We may add the prehistoric site of Asikli Hoyuk to the mix. Time will tell.
Pages: 22 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index