The Doors of Perception

105 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: The Doors of Perception
Nov 16, 2005, 22:26
"This is central to my original question. Does a mystical or spiritual experience happen in the external world when our perception of it is enhanced or is it an illusion produced by chemicals in the brain?"

Although that is an "is it A or B" type leading question Peter, I have personal experience of two or more people can experience the same inexplicable events simultaneously - so that would seem to suggest that *that*is an external phenomena detected by our senses.

Of course, there is more than one type of *that*, and, similarly, (and arguably) many levels of consciousness with, without, drugs or mixtures of trance/psychotropes.

Even coffee changes ones senses and mood.

For example, once, during a period of extended chronic disease (4 years) I changed my diet to very pure foods and no beverage other than spring water. This, along with intense pain 24/7, altered the way I felt about things, the way I perceived things, and the way I sensed things.

Furthermore, we are familiar with using the text-book '5 senses' as a point of reference, yet many studies have been made (attended a series of lectures and workshop once) that list 12 senses and more - the sense of the 'other' (ego sense), the sense of balance, the senses of warmth, speech, life etc.

These senses have been linked to colours and various quasi-mystical stuff which may or may not hold true, but what is truth, and what is consciousness?

As I stated above - how do we empirically measure consciousness along with all these senses , empirically? We have only our consciousness to measure it by - and we all differ?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index