The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Doors of Perception

105 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rune
288 posts

Re: The Doors of Perception
Nov 14, 2005, 23:46
>>For me the problem with religious/spiritual beliefs is that people seem unable to justify them in any tangible way and often continue to believe despite evidence to the contrary<<

There's a term for that type of behaviour and of course I can't remember what is is at this moment in time!, It's not just applied to religion but explains things like why people stick with a particular supplier of goods even though it's pointed out other suppliers are cheaper/nearer/better value/more efficient. "Stupid" isn't the term I'm looking for before someone suggests it ;-)

>> I have more than just a gut-feeling that nature is not just strange, it's very, very, very strange. Now whatever this strangeness is, may well be what others perceive as spirituality, god, earth energy, whatever, but for me it's part of the quest for knowledge.<<

So speaks the scientist :-)

Lots of scientific principles like relativity and quantum mechanics and often logistics make my head hurt. I can follow the trains of thought, but it is a struggle. I can see the enjoyment people can get from taking an idea and "properly" running with it and formulating more theories that can be validated by logical construct etc, but it's just not for me to look at life in that analytical cerebral way. I'm thankful that there are people who do and I don't think either approach is right and the other is wrong, I believe both are equally valid.

I'm happy to experience what I do and enjoy it for the pleasure it brings without wondering too much about how and what it is that causes it. The more I've tried over the last thirty or so years, the more I've tied myself into mental knots and I've come to realise the less I really know.

Experiences at sites for me often are comparable in a way to a lover's touch. Do I lie there and think 'Oh, that nerve impulse has reached my brain which soon will release more endorphins which is why this feels as good as it does'

Nope, fraid not, my only thought is AhhhUhhhMmmmmmmmmmm.

Rune ;-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index