The Doors of Perception

105 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: The Doors of Perception
Nov 13, 2005, 12:40
"When someone has a mystical experience, they perceive that sense of reality to be far greater and far clearer than our usual everyday sense of reality..."

That seems to be true - in my experience.

Can a non-believer have a mystical or spiritual experience? If so does that mean that the non believer's material beliefs are wrong or does it lend weight to the theory that mystical experiences occur within the chemistry and physics of the brain? Do they happen and are perceived as external phenomena or are they hiccups within the cortex? Does a spiritual/mystical experience mean that you have to have a belief in deitties and/or spirits?

That is what bugs me - any views?

I would describe myself as a non-believer now, but I have had spontaneous experiences which are outside anything that I can explain or rationalise. But I do and did perceive the "reality to be far greater and far clearer than our usual everyday sense of reality..."

The beauty of these experiences ( which I never will talk about) is consciously unattainable, but there is such a painful and enduring longing for a repeat. Instead - I hide behind a barricade of scepticism as the alternative is too scary.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index