The Doors of Perception

105 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: The Doors of Perception
Nov 13, 2005, 21:20
>This is why describing and talking about subjective experiences is so difficult, we don't have any common reference points or adequate language to communicate what's happened outside our own frames of reference...<

You've put your finger on a very important point there Rune. We <i>are</i> restricted in how we perceive the world by the culture we've been born into and the language that culture has developed to describe what it perceives. I have knowledge of only two cultures and two languages but they are <i>so</i> different that it's frankly impossible to combine them; it's almost like being able to see someone's face, either frontal or in profile, but unable to connect them. The frontal and profile images are both equally true but never combine to give a full and 'rounded' picture.

The mystical/spiritual experience seems to bypass the restricted view we generally have of the world and for a moment the circle appears complete (needed to get the mention of a circle in somewhere before I get my wrists slapped for being way off TMA topic :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index