The Doors of Perception

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

The Doors of Perception
Nov 12, 2005, 18:18
Think it was Nancy (over on the Stones List) who recently asked for accounts of religious/spiritual experiences for a project she was working on. Interesting, but also so easy to fall into delusion and fantasy. But, you know, what the hell. As moss said on another thread earlier today, knowledge and understanding is all about sharing ideas and experiences and learning from them (or words to that effect) and some of those experiences might lead to a deeper understanding of things we discuss here. So, here goes, will set the ball rolling...

Have had two religious/spiritual experiences. Once while out walking in the mountains I slipped and really thought I'd had it. As the soil began to crumble away beneath me I reached out to grab the trunk of a young tree... everything then seemed to slow down and for a moment there was a feeling that it was not me reaching out to the tree but the tree reaching out to me... :-)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: The Doors of Perception
Nov 12, 2005, 19:02
Although it's a rum thought, I must admit I wouldn't (any longer) share most of my out-there experiences.

It's just so intensely personal and I think of little interest to anyone. True, the doors of perception are so many and so small, I'm sure there are tales that cross-over and likewise sure that all is part of the picture and no one answer because we can't agree on the question.

What I will repeat though, is an overheard conversation in a chipshop last night. All true:

A cockneyed man who was one of those with a wry glint in his eye seemed to me to be the shop owner. He was conversing with another man on my side of the counter (in truth he was conversing with the entire shop, or whomever would catch his glinting eye which he cast about like a fishing net).

It went something like this:

"Nah, reelly, ah've bin finkin'...samfin' I read...(blah blah)

...all life IS, is 'questions', innit? All wot we do is from questions. Wot we arsk arselves...yew know..."do I want to get up" in the mornin'? It's a question innit? All our life is just us arsking ahrselves questions to make decisions like. In our 'eads we are always arsking "do I want to stay in bed this morning?" "do I want to go out?" "Do I want this job" "what do I want to eat"?, ok? You wiv me?"

He then wound this one up with:

"Well, the thing is this; all you haveta do to change life for the betta is arsk y'self betta questions innit?"

Funny thing was the shop was called ... wait for it...

Cods Kitchen! So I'm made up. Mini-philosophy and large chips please :-)

HuzzzaaAH!

And Littlestone, that was a special branch intervention! Phew :-)
bridgit
22 posts

Nov 12, 2005, 20:03
http://bristlingbadger.blogspot.com/2005/10/maoist-foodstuffs.html#comments
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 12, 2005, 21:16
>A cockneyed man who was one of those with a wry glint in his eye seemed to me to be the shop owner.<

There's a good seafood restaurant in Burnham-on-Crouch called the Contented Sole - wonder if it's run by the same guy ;-)

And for another spiritual experience of the epicurean kind (especially if you've time on your hands while waiting to catch a train from Liverpool Street Station), Moshi Moshi Sushi on the mezzanine is highly recommended (but don't drink much there 'cause a piddling little bottle of beer will cost you more than two and a half quid). Start off with <i>uni</i> (sea urchin) and work your way through <i>maguro</i> (tuna), <i>ika</i> (squid) and <i>kani</i> (crab) finishing off with <i>unagi</i> (eel). A couple of those each and other little titbits (plus a beer if you really have to) will set you back about thirty quid - but you'll come away smiling and just longing for the next time you're waiting for that train to eternity :-)
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

dorsals of perception
Nov 12, 2005, 21:40
If I could just chip in - it all sounds a bit fishy to these ears Littlestone, and pricey! Guess I'm stuck with the cod philosophy . Boom-cha-cha!!

On topic -

I once saw a floating head in an old yew wood. Whassthatallabaht?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: dorsals of perception
Nov 12, 2005, 22:01
I once saw a floating head in an old yew wood. Whassthatallabaht?

What were yew on at the time? Sorry, and seriously, I once knew someone who saw Pan in a wood (that's Pan with cloven feet not pan as in frying-pan (with or without the cod special). Though I really can't stand the 'preaching' of some recent posts on TMA I've an open mind to just about anything.

Think the restrictions of a 'linear' way of looking at the world is rather unhealthy however; a construction that we in the West have come to accept as the norm - it isn't normal at all, and some other cultures just do not 'see' things as progressing from A to B in a straight line.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Nov 12, 2005, 22:44
Totally agree with what you are saying Littlestone. Also, the same wood i saw the head, I heard hoofbeats/footbeats which passed right by us and we saw nothing, just a felt a 'gulp' rollercoaster feeling.

And I was on nothing but young love and fresh air. I promise.

PS recently reading Hill Of Dreams by Arthur Machen. he touches on much about perception and the linking of sexuality and the landscape mixed with occult/spirituality of a perceived ancient type. Sex and death being the process of Nature, I feel these things alter our perceptions more profoundly in young adulthood - measurably more than my (for-instance) approaching mid-life existential pondering. If there is a 'Truth' with a capital 'T', I believe it to be a raggedy-yet-smooth- willed and violent thing. Unconscionably efficient in it's struggle to procreate and live - to die and be reborn.

Maybe we feel this thing and lay our own experiences/symbols over it? Invent our 'maker' in the image of our own self-consciousness? Self-awareness?

But I *feel* that thing you and I call Pan, a lot. He sounds like a running stag, he smells like musk and ivy pollen/semen. This feeling has the eye of the lioness in Rousseau's 'The Dream'.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/rousseau/rousseau.dream.jpg
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Nov 12, 2005, 22:53
Arthur Machen! Great stuff and you are the first person I've ever come across that has read the Hill of Dreams. That vision or whatever in the old hill fort and all that stuff about Pan. Made a big impact on me about 35 years ago.
Ishmael
683 posts

Nov 12, 2005, 23:22
>Hill Of Dreams by Arthur Machen

I forgot I had that! Must be worth a few quid on Ebay these days...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Morsels of Perception
Nov 13, 2005, 00:54
Do you perceive what I perceive, mid-picture on the downy plain :-)

http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index