The Doors of Perception

105 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: The Doors of Perception
Nov 15, 2005, 10:34
"Experiences at sites for me often are comparable in a way to a lover's touch. Do I lie there and think 'Oh, that nerve impulse has reached my brain which soon will release more endorphins which is why this feels as good as it does"

Exactly - there is another reality other than intellectual reality. To over analyse and intellectualise is to deny the wholeness of ourselves. It's left brain right brain stuff and the extremity of one polarity is as blind as the other.

The old chestnut still works

Consider the scientist who takes a flower and dissects it so that he can examine and understand the function of every part. He cannot then re-assemble it and he certainly cannot create another living flower. He has destroyed that flower, but his insight may lead to the development of new varieties.

Consider a Buddhist who meditates upon that flower. He has taken that flower out of time and space into another dimension beyond its physical reality.

Consider an artist who paints it on a flat canvas. He has removed it from the third dimension and placed it in the fourth. The image of that flower may endure for centuries.

The three perceptions are all valid but mutually exclusive.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index