This topic is locked

219 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: All Terrain Stones
Jun 23, 2005, 19:37
"Tho surely the work involved in making rollers uniform enough and 'straight' enough would make them a bit impractical."

I tend to agree, Moth....of course, having got them to the top of the hill, how do you stop gravity from taking carrying on of its own free will to the bottom? And then there's the "Roller Lugging Team" - separate from the "All Terrain Stone Transport Team" - that have to take all the rollers from the "Up" side of the hill, either back to the bottom (for the next stone in the convoy) or set up at the bottom of the downslope and wait for the screams and the exploding undergrowth that signals a 40-ton stone on its way........

As Jimit says, dragging was was bloody hard - even for short burst of less than a minute - I know one or two people mooted the idea of it being done in the winter, throwing water on the ground to make an ice path etc., but I'm not sure that the footing for the teams would be that brilliant - more than just a little nippy on the tootsies, what?

I don't know about anyone else's experience, but I found that it was nigh on impossible to give anything less than full effort to the dragging, due partly to the need to maintain balance - the low centre of gravity required and the trunk being not being "totally over" the legs gave one a "teetering" feel (of course, it could be because I'm 6' 2" (if you're American!) and was surrounded by short arses! The one time I "rested" for two seconds or so (my poor hands were burning!) was most disconcerting; I soon re-focused on the rope.

Conversley, I could have stone-rowed my little heart out.....

Pilgrim

X
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index