219 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: FOAMHENGE
Jun 23, 2005, 08:06
It was a great programme, wasn't it?

I'm sure it wasn't aimed at anyone with too much of a working knowledge of the stones or owt - more of an entry-level type thing. It's good to raise awareness about these things, though, innit?

And yes - it was just the opinions of a few people, and yes - the re-enactments were based on nothing more than speculation, but what the hey? That was the idea of the show, wasn't it? Someone else can make a show giving other opinions if they like, and I'm sure they will.

I agree with Ishmael that letting us row for longer would have made for great TV, rather than keep stopping and starting. Leaving Steve in control while Gordon did the rock star bit would have kept momentum going a lot better. But at least it's been accepted as a possibility by some of the big guns now!

Did anyone text or email to say it was inaccurate or not enough lizards or owt? The opportunity was there!

Also, I can't agree more about the missed opportunity for actually filming the events as they happened. The moon was fabulous as we left the site, and they had cameras up there if they wanted to film the sunrise, so I wonder why they didn't? Chance in a bloomin lifetime, that was!

The model was breathtaking - far more so than any of us could have ever imagined... Based, I believe, solely on Mike Pitts' interpretation, so I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it's not necessarily 100% accurate (but someone had to take the plunge!), but regardless of that, it's a beautiful work of art. The stones looked pretty real even close up - 'specially the bluestones! What a shame it ever as to be taken down...

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index