This topic is locked

219 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: FOAMHENGE
Jun 23, 2005, 10:54
I havent seen any of the recorded footage yet, so I can comment on the programme from the far side of the cameras, but having been deeply involved with all the megalith moving experiments, I think its fair to say that from a neolithic technology standpoint it did what it said on the tin.

All the farting about with the 'lovies' at the tv companies marred the proceedings greatly, as they were concerned purely with 'good tv' and viewing figures, not practical demonstrations of highly theoretical and speculative processes. What appeared to be rowing a stone up and down a hill for ten minutes was the tip of a very gruelling and hugely involved experimental iceberg.

To cap it all - filming for another programme on National Geographic demonstrating the difference between the rowing technique with a small team and dragging the stone with a large team of volunteers, led by a weightlifter almost ended in tragedy. The dragging technique worked and the stone was easily moved, but success and the mention of breaking world records, fuelled the large team of overenthusiastic volunteers and their burly leader to move the 12 ton block at an amazingly fast pace. In order to allow the block to roll, wooden rollers need to be laid down to form a track and as the block was moving fast, and the rollers need to be placed accurately - the inevitable accident occurred and one of the Stonehengineers was trapped by a roller and pinned across the forearm. Swift work by the JCB freed him and immediate medical attention saved him from a debilatating injury and he is now recovering well. However, the point must be made that archaeology or engineering does not make 'good tv' for the layman and any attempt to liven it up - by throwing in world records or prehistoric reality tv challenges , will not work under any circumstances.

Foamhenge in itself as the centre of a series of programmes may have achieved what it set out to do in terms of attracting money and interest to the field, but the massive amount of effort put into the planning, effecting and demonstrating the neolithic 'engineering' techniques must be applauded - even if the tiny amount of footage transmitted may have given the impression of it being a stoneage Its A Knockout stunt.

I wouldnt have missed any moment of the full four days for the world. Monumental.

(worn out) Wotan
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index