This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Re: I glam dicenn them
Aug 04, 2004, 18:11
Tombo - you write with a wealth of truth and beauty and say it all. I can add nothing to what you have said but can just give an illustration from experience.

More than 30 years ago, I climbed Silbury Hill with my young family. There were no restrictions on access then and as we drove closer we could see the Hill swarming with people. It was just an ordinary weekend and we parked with all the other cars that lined the road and then toiled upwards. There was very little grass and the paths were deep and eroded with people climbing from all directions. When we reached the top, we stood literally shoulder to shoulder. The platform was completely full. I was heavily into Paganism then, but there was no sacred experience to be had. It was an unpleasant jostle and one that I have never wished to repeat. From a distance, Silbury was a scarred mess swarming with ants. It is so much better now with all its problems. The sacredness is seen from a distance with no modern intrusions. I never want to see it crawling with people again.

Where is the respect that sacredness implies? Why do some "Pagans" want to clamber over places they claim to hold sacred? Why do some insist on climbing on Stonehenge at the solstices? I do believe that there are eternal truths to be glimpsed and experienced. For me, those rare experiences come in the remote places far from crowds, rituals and posturing. I perceive common truths in Paganism, Heathenisn, Druidry, Christianity and other beliefs, but in every case I see them distorted by priests in fancy dress who set themselves up as higher caste "spiritual" leaders. Surely we cannot take priestcraft seriously anymore. The Great Panjandrums are pantomime dames who invent ceremonies to boost THEIR egoes and reinforce THEIR power over THEIR followers. Stuff the priests and let me learn from wise teachers like Tombo.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index