Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
Aug 03, 2004, 14:37
I think the issue can be judged different ways, depending on which reality you inhabit.

In EH's hyper world, the hill is stable, though there are "worrying" parts. Consequently, he should have considered himself to be in no danger, but would have been well-advised to feel worried. I trust they supplied him with valium.

In the real world however, there are obvious signs of surface instability and localized land slippage. In addition, their consultants told them there was a danger of the tunnels migrating to the surface, but how soon and how suddenly has never been revealed. So on the basis of that information and lack of it, he would have done well to have judged himself to be in finite danger of unknown degree.

Back to the hyper-world: EH can't use the D word (danger) or the W word (warning) or the NS words (not safe) on their notices, as that would mean HA was right. So instead, they ASK people, not tell them, to keep off. And for why? 1.) It's steep 2.) there is delicate archaeology close to the surface and 3.) there is rare flora. Well, yes it's steep, though telling something so bleedin obvious strikes me as finding a reason to avoid saying it's dangerous, nothing else. And delicate archaeology close to the surface? Really? After a thousand years of rabbits burrowing the top 3 feet into porridge? Rabbits that they've recently allowed to become an absolute epidemic? Would the steps of a druid really damage archaeology below that layer?

Nah, they're trapped by there own concoction. Rare flora is the only valid reason to keep people off, unless they admit to instability, which they daren't.

We've just gone through month fifty, with no sign of repairs, and their porkies have caught up with them and they look entirely ridiculous. Never mind the druid, give the real discredit where it's due.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index