Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: I glam dicenn them
Aug 04, 2004, 15:42
Posing: c'mon, if he'd been wearing a mitre and you'd been passing by you'd have said "look at that posing bishop" wouldn't you?! I accept he was doing what he believed was a possible true replication, but guess what, shamans are the world's greatest posers! I don't mind that, we're all posers in our way, I do it in all sorts of ways, I just wish he'd do his away from Silbury for the next year or two.

Anyhow, 2 reasons to try to dissuade him just now:

Joe public associates him with the Silbury campaign. He IS part of it as he wants it fixed of course, but Joe Public is likely to dismiss him as a dope, like it or not, and the whole campaign with him.

EH would like to dismiss us all as dopes, and he's a convenient part of the campaign they can point at as evidence of our dopery. It's hard enough trying to have technical arguments about engineering issues with the top archaeologist in the country armed with the (unpublished) reports of professors of mining engineering as it is. We're doing OK, and have pretty much won the argument thanks to material they inadvertently sent us, BUT it's not easy, and Terry announcing to the world that Silbury was built to be an enormous fountain is noise we can well do without.

Take him up Snowdon for a year or two, until it's fixed. A natural hill is probably more authentic for Lammas anyway!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index