Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ishmael
683 posts

Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
Aug 02, 2004, 15:46
Sunday 2nd August 2004 was the third time that self proclaimed druid Terry Dobney obtained a key for the gate at silbury and scrambled up the hill, on all fours at some points, to get to the top.
http://aveburytour.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/SilburyClimber.jpg
Dobney was given the key by Ancient Monuments site inspector Amanda Chadburn.
Before he got to the top passers by were climbing over the fence and racing to the top to see what was going on.
http://aveburytour.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/SilburyClimbers.jpg
An amercian family out viewing the cropcircles in the area also jumped the fence.
During the hour that Dobney walked around the top of the hill posing the passing traffic was slowing down and swerving dangerously all over the road.
As Dobney left around 12:30 other visiters from the cropcircle circus nearby invaded the hill for the afternoon.
By midnight there was a fully established crop watch on top the hill.
Well done EH! This sort of behaviour will damage the hill quicker than just leaving the ancient mound to crumble on its own.
HA will issue a vague press release as some point...
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
Aug 02, 2004, 16:01
How's this for irony?

Question: What future do you see for public access to the 'sacred landscape' of Silbury and Stonehenge?

Terry Dobney: There is likley to be more legislation, when you realise Stonehenge is one of the biggest visitor attractions of this country, estimates of about three million a year, I've heard discussions of the logistics of getting the coaches in and out of the car park is similar to stacking jumbo-jets in and out of Heathrow! Which is one of the reasons why there was a walk-way put around the outside of Stonehenge - If everybody takes away a bit of chalk on their shoes, there will be nothing left! Silbury is extremely unstable, it is nice to look at but extremely unstable!
scousemaiden
160 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 00:05
Terry does it every year. It was after a procession from Avebury, and was done in honour of Lammas. Terry does a lot of good for the Avebury community, and treats Silbury Hill with the respect and honour it deserves.
Scousemaiden xxx
Ishmael
683 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 00:45
>Terry does a lot of good for the Avebury community, and treats Silbury Hill with the respect and honour it deserves.

I sooo disagree!
Tell me how he is an asset to the community?
and how he can have respect for something he tramples underfoot?
Don't start me ranting now!
Ishmael
683 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 00:49
every year?
he has only done it for the last 2 years.
Only since the hill was damaged.
WTF is that all about then?
(Self proclaimed Keeper of the Landscape)
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 01:13
"During the hour that Dobney walked around the top of the hill posing the passing traffic was slowing down and swerving dangerously all over the road."

New road signs needed? 'CAUTION! Druids climbing for next 1/2 mile'

Top and botto of the matter is, until it's *proved* stable, It's not really safe. Neither for the hill nor for the climber, nor those driving nearby apparently. If someone wants to risk falling down a hole in a great big mound of collapsing chalk and getting buried as it slides on top of them, that's their business I guess. I'd rather they didn't do it on this particular great big pile of collapsing chalk.
Wild Wooder
216 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 08:19
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought these "modern" Druids are all about having respect for the environment and particularly for its sacred aspects. Prancing and posing, as other comments have indicated this bloke did, is more exhibitionism than demonstrtaing respect.

Anyway, has anyone asked the official concerned the reasons for giving the key?
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Aug 03, 2004, 08:25
Scousemaiden: "It was after a procession from Avebury, and was done in honour of Lammas."

This sounds suspiciously like "he was a pagan and therefore has a special right to climb Silbury", to me. Being a revivalist druid don't make his footsteps any lighter, though.

Ishmael: "During the hour that Dobney walked around the top of the hill posing the passing traffic was slowing down and swerving dangerously all over the road."

I agree with everything you say except for that. On the basis of this argument, people would still not be allowed to climb Silbury even if it were made stable, and I think that would be a real shame.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

traffic
Aug 03, 2004, 08:28
Not that I'm denying that the traffic was swerving, you understand Ishmael. I just think that your argument is extremely strong without that, and that even if traffic swerves every time someone climbs (a future and "made stable") Silbury then this is an argument for moving the road further away from the monument, not for stopping people from climbing. I admire the main thrust of your argument because it says "people should not climb now". I'm wary of this car thing because it says "people should never be allowed to climb".
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: traffic
Aug 03, 2004, 09:54
Can I just ask one thing?

Why the fk should anyone want to climb the fkn thing anyway? Why not just admire it from below?

OK - 2 things.

On what grounds should one be allowed to climb the hill for so-called "religious" reasons? What religious practises have been proved to have been carried out there in the past? I always thought nobody knew for sure why the hill was built. Therefore, why should it be assumed it was built for religious purposes? Granted, it's very likely to be the case, but can we be sure? Did the Earth stop revolving every year before this Terry chap decided to lumber about on top of it?

That, as the pedants among you will surely notice, is far more than 1 or even 2 questions. Get over it.

G x zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index