Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
Aug 04, 2004, 11:11
Yes you're right, if people are determined to climb the hill they will, signs or no signs, druids or no druids. Oh well.

As I understand it there has been a hole since the 1770s, and attempts were only made properly to fill it in in the 1930s. That filling material gradually disappeared. Then in 1963 it was capped with chicken wire, to put off rabbits digging. That capping has now disappeared from view as well. So things are on the move, however slowly. Does that not imply a big void in the hill? If there's loads of rain, and people trampling about, won't something happen suddenly one day? I dunno. I don't know what you could do about it, and I suppose EH don't really know either. It's a bloody enormous hill but that wouldn't necessarily stop it collapsing. It's only earth after all. The Hatfield barrow wasn't that big but that fell in when people dug into it, and there isn't anything left of that. While Somebody figures out what to do, perhaps the 'look but don't touch' approach is the best?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index