Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Silbury completed at Lammas?
Aug 04, 2004, 12:16
The thing about the insects is that they were in the original turf mound (two stages before what Terry climbed, and quite conceivably a hill belonging to the poor victims of the people who built Silbury 3 that he feels such a valid affinity with!!!) and they were in various parts of the turf mound, not necessarily in the bottom half inch where they'd need to be to validate any speculation about the founding date. (And the founding date - of something that took years and years to buid - is such a date significant?) But more importantly, it's now been shown that that type of insect can remain for many months after it's death, without deterioration, in non-anaerobic conditions, i.e. they could have cut the turf in Feb, laid it in May or any other time of the year. My "truth" is that it's an Xmas mound... ;)

I think someone, somewhere, noticed the insects had August associations and made an off the cuff remark, and it's stuck. EH are amongst the chief culprits for widely repeating it. Something else the Devil will congratulate them for when they meet him...
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index