Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nemeton
56 posts

Re: I glam dicenn them
Aug 04, 2004, 15:02
blimey! went for a walk and the thread explodes!!

Some interesting comments, many of which I agree upon. However..... ( ;-0 )

the repeated use of term 'posing': This I think comes from a basic differentiation of views. I knosw this is very generalistic, but I feel that many members of this list (the ones I know certainly) are not of the type (in the psychological sense) to attend ceremonies, they perhaps have qualtatively different reasons for being 'interested' in ancient history and the like (whic is of course as valid as any other reason). This compares to people who go to places like ave or silbury for 'spiritual' ( or cosmic?!!) reasons. Therefore people will have different views on how we should approach thses sites and 'use' them. This is perhaps the root of the disagreements. Terry is a Druid (not getting in to THAT arguement!) who rightly or wrongly is doing what he believes to be the correct way. i.e. he is conducting ceremony.

Ceremony is a representaion, spritual, physical, and metaphorical; nothing more. Were the people whom conducted ceremony at West Kennet, Hetty Pegler, or wherever any less posing? Picture the scene, 3600BC at West Kennet (or thereabouts), man in full shaminic dress passing over the spirit and body (parts!) of a great leader to the afterworld, and keith from kennet says to his mate - oooh 'ark at 'im, all dressed up and waving his arms about - posing get.......... (please dont pull me up on historical accuracy, you get the picture...!!)

So - posing - maybe. Wrong -deserve to be lampooned? depends on your stanpoint i suppose.

As for disuading terry why? If I thought for one moment intentions were dishounarable or it is morally / ethically / spritually wrong, I would shot him down myself! I can see the arguments from both sides honestly. I guess I wanted to see if other people could too.

regards

Me too.
Tom, you are indeed a Wise Heathen (and there's only 104 of those come up in a Google search!)

The moral of the row, I think, is that if you really care for Silbury Nemeton, it would be good to discourage Terry from a repeat next year, and until the damn thing's fixed.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index