Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
This topic is locked

90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nemeton
56 posts

Re: Lame Ass EH druid @ Silbury
Aug 03, 2004, 12:37
"Sunday 2nd August 2004 was the third time that self proclaimed druid Terry Dobney obtained a key for the gate at silbury and scrambled up the hill, on all fours at some points, to get to the top.
http://aveburytour.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/SilburyClimber.jpg"

very nice pics pete - perhaps if more people used the 'path' then EH may install a lift, or a tarmac path to make it easier? It is a difficult climb because of its infrequent useage.

"Dobney was given the key by Ancient Monuments site inspector Amanda Chadburn.
Before he got to the top passers by were climbing over the fence and racing to the top to see what was going on.
http://aveburytour.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/SilburyClimbers.jpg
An amercian family out viewing the cropcircles in the area also jumped the fence."

Yes - and no. they were turned away by the other people at the procession, base of silbury. A few people tried to come and climb the hill. If the Lammas priocession had not been there they would have climbed. Their wish to climb was NOTHING TO DO WITH TERRY BEING UP THE HILL. They wanted to take pics of crop circles - how on earth this has anything to do with any Druid climbing Silbury is beyond me. The traffic issue therefore is not relevant here - you seem to be implying that one druid climbing silbury is responsible for all sorts of idiots wanting to climb. In fact several were stopped. Something we ALL want yes? Idiots climb all the time - nothing to do with pagans, druids or lammas.

"During the hour that Dobney walked around the top of the hill posing"

PLEASE! We all have opinions on druidry and paganism. "Posing" is not an appropriate term and most disrespectful. Personal issues should NOT be aired here where people do not know the full backgrouds of people invloved. If any person is using this site, then surely they have respect for what the sites are and how they may be used? A ceremony for lammas being led by the Druid (no personal arguments please) is NOT posing ffs!

"...the passing traffic was slowing down and swerving dangerously all over the road.
As Dobney left around 12:30 other visiters from the cropcircle circus nearby invaded the hill for the afternoon.
By midnight there was a fully established crop watch on top the hill."

As said earlier, this is NOTHING to do with Terry climbing - thus happens all year - mainly by idiotic croppies and photographers (sound familiar?)

It seems to me there are certain people with agendas of their own and are using events like this to promote their cause - something which I feel embarassesd about. The climb of Silbury has been going on for more than two years (I have been on at least 3) and one climb carried out by a respecting person will do little damage, far less than any amateur (or professional) archaeologist will or have done.

If anyone wants some pics of the people taking pics, i have some!! ;-0

respectfully yours, sorry for the cut & paste
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index