Stonehenge »
Stone shifting 4

149 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stone Rowing: remember that?
Sep 11, 2003, 08:23
I do think we need some sort of test, and a strategy - the valley where they got the stones from is a nightmare, full of stones, hillocks, buried stones. It would be virtually impossible to pick a perfect line, where there was never a case where one log wasn't a bit tilted or elevated or both relative to another, so they must have had a means to cope. Apart from the danger of the logs rolling on a cross-slope, which I agree we should simply avoid, how does rowing perform if one or more logs are tilted? I'm not saying we have to choose somewhere severe, but it would be good if we could say we know our system would have performed OK there. People will ask, and it would be a shame if we had to say Oh well they must have dragged them at some points. Maybe they did in places but the fewer instances that our system leaves the stronger will be the confidence with which it's received. I guess our unprecedentedly good steering will be a very persuasive factor, and we should make a big deal out of demonstrating it.

Incidentally, what about the braking system when we're going downhill?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index