Stonehenge »
Stone shifting 4

149 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Stone shifting 4
Sep 06, 2003, 23:45
The way I see it is this, if we can lift 40 tons of dead weight with levers, surely we can nudge the top end of 40 tons sideways. levering from the top must be much more efficient than driveing wedges in from the bottom.

Don't ask me why I just know it will work. When the stone has been dropped into the hole and is at rest at something like 70 or 80 degrees there will be a space between the stone and the tower, build the tower up until it is level with the top of the stone, (without the stone on top this will be quick and easy) then fix a fulcrum log across the tower say 6 inches from the stone. Place 6 men on top of the tower who will insert 6 inch diameter levers between the stone and the tower vertically. these men will hold the 12ft levers upright. This will give an advantage of 11 to 1 on each lever. 5 men on ropes attached to the end of each lever will be equal to 55 men. 6 times 55 equals 330 men. More than enough. As the stone is moved upright packings (chalk rubble) is slipped in behind the stone at ground level. Should that almost no time at all.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index