Stone shifting 4

149 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Stone Rowing: remember that?
Sep 10, 2003, 23:08
I'm keen to get going with this. I'm away for a week from Oct 18th to 25th and I would hate to miss all the action.

I think stone-rowing has to be the first thing we do. We must establish that as THE primary idea. The erection thing can then follow on as our "next" application of stone-rowing. Stone-rowing is going to bowl them over in a way that erecting a stone will not. Our ideas for stone erecting may be seen as controversial and it would be a huge pity for the beauty and simplicity of stone-rowing to be lost in the ensuing confusion. Once we have stone-rowing "in the bag", we will have gained some credibility that will help us enormously when it comes to erecting.

So here are a couple of alternative ideas:

Plan B: I don't think there's any law against stone-rowing on public land ;^). Does anyone know of a stone that's just lying on the ground somewhere suitable so we could row it around and then put it back where we found it? It would have to be one that has no archaeological interest and it needs to be near some suitable hills. There must be something in the Peak District or the Lake District that we could use. There are some big pieces of stone below the escarpment of Roseberry Topping (look it up on TMA) and the land around has a wide variety of slopes. I'll try to check it out at the weekend.

Plan C: If we could get someone to deliver a 10 tonner to some public place in the Derbyshire dales (or anywhere else for that matter) we could row away to our heart's content. We might have to pick the stone up and take it away again so we don't get done for littering. Do you know any friendly builder's merchants in the area with a HIAB? Even if we had to pay them £50 or so, it would be worth it. They might be persuaded to do it on a Sunday if we give the driver a bit extra. If it's just a case of the money, I'll send you a cheque, Gordon.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index