Stonehenge »
Stone shifting 4

149 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stone shifting 4
Sep 08, 2003, 09:05
So you think getting the stone to walk the plank would be highly dangerous? Fair enough. Although I have to say the concept didn’t frighten me at all as I thought “100 yards away, behind a wall, I’m bound to be OK”.

But is there some part of stone rowing worth looking into, i.e. is there any mileage in some sort of controlled descent? If there was a post or posts placed in the hole, leaning at a pretty steep angle, and you rowed the stone forward until it was almost ready to topple, then by placing a very small weight on it you could cause it to tip slowly until it was lodged against the pole, halfway through it’s descent. At that point, by putting more weight on it, and/or pulling the pole a little more upright, you could eventually cause it to complete it’s descent, and it would have no choice but to be guided into a near vertical position because of the presence of the pole on it's right and the lip of the hole on it's left, certainly enough to make the hauling-up process easy. It seems to me if you got the pole angle right, and it was strong enough, you could get a high degree of control and predictability. In particular, you could eradicate most of the slippage that normally kicks in in the second part of the stone's descent, and forces the tower to be fairly high..
If this is garbage, put it down as a valid contribution to brainstorming, as it’s an aspect we haven’t discussed.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index