Unsung Forum »
Negative Reviews

212 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 11, 2004, 22:26
OK, rephrase that to "formatting might work for 98% of radio..." ;) I did community radio myself...two years in the early 90s on a wall-2-wall ambient mix show and then a couple more in the middle of the decadesas part of the crew on a little assault called "A Dangerous Place". And it was a lot like what you're proposing, although we always had this "maybe we're fucking with you and maybe we're not" stance to it. For example, doing segues such as going from George Crumb's "Songs, Drones and Refrains of Death" into Dave Dudley's "Six Days On the Road" in our "Trucks 'n' Death" themed-show. I recall one time a listener called up and requested some GWAR, and we all jumped on the phone..."GWAR!? You are OUR kind of listener, bub!!"...then played "Gonna Kill You" off their new "Unplugged" album.

And see, this is the problem. How much radio is like this? Virtually none. Listeners aren't being CHALLENGED. The radio has become this wireless pipeline of poo in nearly all cases...even many college stations now follow formatting by the book. And because of this, people now think in tight categories, because their music comes packaged to them like that.

I recall...distinctly...the period right around the end of the 1960s and the beginning of the 70s, when I was a kid and there were still free-format DJs. DJS!! People who made the musical choices themselves, who let you into their sonic world. And freeform was astounding...even in li'l ol' Nashville where I grew up, late night on FM we had freeformers and I remember listening quietly in bed to a little radio to this stream of consciousness artwork. But it wasn't long after that that Lee Abrams reared his ugly head...the inventor of the original AOR and CHR formatting, who poisoned the whole goddamned thing and who brought the means of turning radio...GOOD radio, LOCAL radio, INVENTIVE radio...into crap.

Goddamned pigfucker...

Anyway, I can't recall radio, outside of college radio, being interesting much past about 1976. And then when the indie promoters really got their hooks into matters in the early 90s, even college airplay turned to schlock. Now we have whole generations who hardly know what radio has the potential of being. Stations like WFMU (a prime example of where the mayhem still lives) are few and far between. But they still set the pace for those with taste; you can't find a ClearChannel or Infinity station that can truly say that.

So, yeah, Dog...I'm down 199%. You gotta fight for your right to party in ways much moreso than the Beasties implied in that song of theirs. To get some real Dancing In Your Head going on, it takes a LOT of different grooves.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index