Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Negative Reviews
Jul 10, 2004, 11:22
OK, so aarfanaardvark has just posted a missive on Spiritualized's 'Amazing Grace'. I wondered if this was following in the footsteps of the ELP Trilogy review - i.e. a review that disses an album rather than praises it.

I don't think these types of reviews have a place on Unsung. Sure, as part of appraising an artist's work it may be necessary to diss certain releases etc., but surely not the one you're reviewing. The web is full of reviews of shit albums. I'm going to delete the Spiritualized one immediately (and no, not cos of any Spiritualized/Cope connections, conspiracy theorists) and will therefore probably be deleting the ELP one too but thought I'd give you advance warning in case anyone wanted to keep a copy etc. I realise this will cause a bit of a stir but I hope you see the reasoning.

It seems to me that the definition of what constitutes an 'Unsung' review seems a little clarification in light of recent (and not so recent) posts so I'll work on getting that together. There's also a whole load of clearly bogus & easily-defined as NOT Unsung reviews that are getting through so it's probably time for a bit of tidy-out.

H.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 10, 2004, 11:48
So why review?

"Sure, as part of appraising an artist's work it may be necessary to diss certain releases etc., but surely not the one you're reviewing."

Why not? If I write a review, I want to give a creative impression of what I've heard.

If I like an album, I'll compliment it. Others may even give the album a listen on the strength of what I've written.
If I dislike an album, and post a negative review, and this warns people off it, then I've saved them time, money and earache.

I do agree, though, that this probably isn't the place for reviews of "Dark Side of The Moon", or "Alchemy", although it's hard to define what unsung is.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mind you...
Jul 10, 2004, 12:04
"Sure, as part of appraising an artist's work it may be necessary to diss certain releases etc., but surely not the one you're reviewing." - The Seth Man

I agree with that, too.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mind you...
Jul 10, 2004, 12:07
Apologies. I forgot to press <ctrl> C on what I wanted to paste...

"Hey, I'd rather listen to things I actually LIKE instead of gleefully laughing at something I don't."

- The Seth Man

and I DO agree with that as well :o)
Clark Gwent
68 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 12:08
I agree, stuff like Suede and the Pet Shop Boys are all-too-bloody "SUNG", and the sort of stuff I am heartily sick of and trying to get away from.

As with Mojo, when that first came out it was "oh good a respite from all that faddy Britpop bullshit" and now they are putting Blurasis onna front and wondering why they are losing readers
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

"Pleeeease...Pleeeease.....
Jul 10, 2004, 12:43
...Please open your eyes!"

awww Holy McG,

Regarding the Dog 300 "Trilogy" review,
p-l-e-a-s-e keep it up there.....
I would say D3's intentions were most certainly good. In fact, from his discriptions of the tracks, I was almost 14 years old again and in my mate's house, watching said mate mime to the keyboard parts on the kitchen table!
I don't think D3 was intending to 'diss' the album- but maybe to throw some jollity on the whole affair and make younger readers and pomp-prog haters, to try and see the >very odd pull< that ELP had back then and obviously now!

I think there was no other group like ELP, they made/make me cringe to a degree where I have to curl up in a ball, but at the same time I would listen to them because I can't fathom out what's happening- as they have, as I've said before, a strange fascination!

That's why I said the review was 'bang on' in another post....and I think I'm not the only one who has this feeling!
It was a >positive< review McG....read it again with a nice hot cup of coffee and some biscuits!
I value your second thoughts squire!!

:-D
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 12:50
good holes

theres a load of shit on unsung reviews n also some great great unsung nuggets - most of em (not all though) seth man posts (i say it again and again)

but its an open forum so thats what ur gonna get at times

im actually quite surprised as to how the shit is not bucket loads given the shit that encompasses a lot of the threads around these and other parts

there is little on unsung that really encourages me n enthuses me to make me want to explore further but i still do n check out thousands of artefacts each year in that search for the holy mcgrail - n just sometimes it is there and sometimes in the most unobvious of places too

but thats my opinion and unlikely to be the opinion of many others

n the necktar does flow - but they were shit apart from a few select tracks - but albums are albums not just individual tracks

its good to pinpoint flaws too n items to be beware of - jules of the cope is great at that but then he listens to a great deal of shit and especially some of the more recent enthuses on his turntable

but white2 is actually quite good n finally there is a sunn O)))))))))))))))))))) album what a crap and stupid name that is doing it for me

ramble on as usual
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 13:02
As long as i've found a place in CAN place a Tiny Tim review, then im as happy as Larry (Love)...
Maybe there should be a "Should NOT be sung" section.....
"dissing" can be fun...
It's certainly less effort then being posistive!
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 13:03
That should be "I CAN place"...
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 13:11
Hey, that Tiny Tim album's a work of genius! By the way, did you know it's Nico doing the backing vocals on "Satisfied with Life"?
Pages: 22 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index