Negative Reviews

212 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 12, 2004, 10:07
I'm with Holy on this one (at least on the negativity bit). Unsung is not a messageboard or whatever, it's a repository for (for want of a better word) reccommendations. It should deal with those things that have managed to pass by without having their praises sung and explain why they are worth it (or at least why the writer loves it).

Not really with him on not including the PSB review. Anything that looks at their work with a proper (ahem) retrospective (and positive) eye should be worth including, no matter what you personally think of them. I've been arguing for years that Tennant's "Smiths you can dance to" line was the truest thing ever said about pop music. It's great to see someone else stooding up for that view and arguing their corner. (Please excuse the unfortunate choice of example here.) I have a Gary Glitter album that I think is one of the most musically interesting records ever., and would immagine that it's megalithic style chanting and double drumming would make it a number one candidate for having it's praises "sung". Does Glitter's chart success and former pop star status rule this out (in which case, surely the likes of James Brown, Kiss, Sabbath and Van 'bloody' Halen would be too)?

Suede, however, can fuck right off.
;-}
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index