Young, Nazi and Proud

65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: schizothreadic
Nov 05, 2002, 14:10
What i was saying about specific academic redefinitions of words was that it is basically a non-geographically-specific colloquialism.

If you are writing about Sartre's work; then you use the word "Other" in a way that means not only the common meaning (though it does mean that), but which also possesses an additional set of meanings. Most essays on Sartre will not bother to predefine the word "Other", because it is understood that the word takes on this additional meaning when used in that context.

On the other hand, should you choose to discuss, say, the 'essence' of a person and use the word "animus" in that same essay (i.e. making a philosophical usage of a word not normally used whilst discussing Sartre), then you'd wind up writing "I'm using _animus_ here to mean blah blah blah".

I believe that this "academic collquialism" can be seen as an analogy to a wider cultural-linquistic evolution. I believe that in the context i used "schizophrenic", it was the equivalent of using "the other" in a Sartre essay. That's all really.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index