1978 posts

Re: oh come on!
Nov 05, 2002, 12:01
>
> but my scar is from the 2nd March on the BNP
> HQ, the one where whilst we were surrounding
> the HQ and taking a pasting...
>
ooooh, i remember that one too. A group of mates and myself got separated from the crowd and wound up down a back street, crouched behind cars... about 6 of us... when a big crew of BNP-supporting thugs suddenly arrived on the scene. I genuinely thought "this is it... we're dead", but just before they laid into us, a big contingent of riot cops showed up.

i can honestly say i have never in my life been so glad to see the police. in the scuffle that ensued, i was saved by being dragged behind the row of riot shields by a policeman whose hand was bleeding. I remember him holding up his hand and shouting at me "And it was probably you who threw the bottle at me and all!" He was shaking like a leaf. Very potent image in my memory.

That said, i can honestly say that 95% of the other demos i've been on that turned ugly; got that way *because* of police action. And i have been assaulted by police officers for absolutely no reason on several of them. So this isn't a defence of the police. But that memory of being dragged to safety always flashes back when i see A.C.A.B.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index