Young, Nazi and Proud

65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: don't get carried away
Nov 05, 2002, 12:16
i wasn't defending "the actions of the police on the day", merely pointing out that no blanket statement... whether it's "All police are our protectors" or "All coppers are bastards" can ever do justice to the complex nature of an organisation comprising thousands and thousands of people. On that day, a policeman who believed that - at the very least, i was capable of being the person who badly injured his hand - put himself in danger to drag me away from 4 or 5 thugs who had jumped on me. It's very possible he saved my life.

That said, and to expose the schizophrenic nature of my thinking on this issue... having just said that you can't claim "all coppers are bastards"; one of my favourite quotes on the subject is from Bukowski:

"... when a man puts that uniform on [...] he is the paid protector of things of the present time. he is here to see that things stay the way they are. if you like the way things are, then _all_ cops are good cops. If you don't like the way things are, then all cops are bad cops. there is such a thing as ALL bad..."
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index