159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: A datum of experience
Aug 28, 2013, 13:41
Littlestone wrote:

If there’s no ultimate truth for science then one is tempted to ask why bother with it (science). If science is not searching for truth (ultimate or otherwise) then what is it searching for?

E.D. Has responded so I won't add what might have amounted to a few thousand words ,that is , if I took the question seriously .

"Nor do I think pseudoscience or religion actually claim to ‘have access to the truth’ (though the bigoted and biased within any group will of course claim that they do). "

They provide unquestioned authority coupled with unfalsifiability they don't say “it may be like this “ they tell you e.g. “it's a chakra “ etc .

" not everything can be pinned down to facts, figures and proofs. "

Who suggested otherwise .

"Neither, I believe, is it helpful or desirable for us to attempt to do so, especially on forums such as this where many (perhaps most) follow if not a more spiritual path "

What is helpful in relation to many of the discussions on this forum is the impact of science on our understanding the subject . Pseudoscience has contributed nothing to our understanding .The spiritual interests ,if applicable , of contributors has no impact on this understanding anymore than their taste in verse .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index