Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 10:29
Mustard wrote:
tjj wrote:
My understanding of 'ancient' witchcraft is that it was the practice of herbalism, healing and midwifery undertaken mainly by women - and that they were often persecuted/murdered by the male dominated, power based Church in past centuries. It is possible that the knowledge of herbs was sometimes misused, either by accident or design, as many are poisonous.

Well that's certainly one interpretation. The reality is though, like with much of history, we simply don't know. We don't even know whether "witchcraft" existed in the sense of a consistent set of beliefs and practices.

Thank you for you comment Mustard, always appreciated. I may be wrong (I often am) but I thought that whilst we don't know for certain witchcraft and magic were practised as a 'set of beliefs' we do know that the knowledge and practice of herbal healing (and poisoning for that matter) was often condemned as witchcraft.

The programme 'A Very British Witchcraft' seemed more about Occultism which was alive and well around London when I lived there with bookshops such as Atlantis and Skoob (then near the British Museum) as meeting places. I had a close friend who worked at Skoob and my first ever visit to Avebury and Wayland's Smithy was because there was a spare seat going on the coach trip from London. I always respect other people's beliefs if genuinely held but when someone (as happened on that occasion) starts talking about bringing on the demise of an adversary by casting spells in their direction - I did not want to know, then or now.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index