159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: A datum of experience
Aug 28, 2013, 12:30
tiompan wrote:

There is no ultimate truth for science ,but that is not how it is for pseudoscience ,which like religion does have access to the truth , although they can't prove it . They never change ,unless science points out a flaw , whilst science is constantly in flux

If there’s no ultimate truth for science then one is tempted to ask why bother with it (science). If science is not searching for truth (ultimate or otherwise) then what is it searching for? A better understanding of the time and place we, as sentient beings, find ourselves perhaps? That is what most religions also endeavour to do. Or is the search for truth just another way of expressing a search for perfection? Again, that is what most religions endeavour to do.

Nor do I think pseudoscience or religion actually claim to ‘have access to the truth’ (though the bigoted and biased within any group will of course claim that they do). What these beliefs do offer is a way to understand and hopefully better ourselves (and I say that as one who does not believe in god by the way). Nor do I accept the totality of the statement that ‘religion never changes unless science points out a flaw’. That has certainly been a contributory factor (an important one) in the ‘development’ of some religions but doctrinal debate, factionalism etc within religions, over many centuries, has been an equally important factor in seeing those religions change.

As a young man, back in early 60s, I stumbled on a poem by Novalis which has stayed with me ever since. It is a reminder that not everything can be pinned down to facts, figures and proofs. Neither, I believe, is it helpful or desirable for us to attempt to do so, especially on forums such as this where many (perhaps most) follow if not a more spiritual path then a path where the possible is a little more possible and the maybe a little closer than elsewhere...

All that is visible, clings to the invisible,
the audible to the inaudible,
the tangible to the intangible:
Perhaps the thinkable to the unthinkable.

Novalis
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index