159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2013, 00:49
Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 00:24
Just watched that. Thank you for posting the link.
My understanding of 'ancient' witchcraft is that it was the practice of herbalism, healing and midwifery undertaken mainly by women - and that they were often persecuted/murdered by the male dominated, power based Church in past centuries. It is possible that the knowledge of herbs was sometimes misused, either by accident or design, as many are poisonous.

Although I like Ronald Hutton a lot, much of this programme made me feel uncomfortable. In some ways its content has a place in the history of 20th century culture and seems an anachronism in today's world. Although 'Wicca' is still widely practised in the form described in the programme it seems to me (and this is a personal opinion) as delusional as any other religion. Reverence for nature exists by itself for many people - who don't need to join or cult, sect or religion to pursue it.

One thing I did notice was that an illustration in Gerald Gardner's rare 'Book of Shadows' bore a remarkable similarity to the 'Foxhill Hill Figure' discussed on another thread. Could there be a link I wonder.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index