A Very British Witchcraft

159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: A Very Australian Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 13:39
Tammy Hatherill’s comment, down near the bottom, was insightful I thought. She says, "Tarot is a healing, because all sorts of information come up in a tarot reading. It's information that people need to know, not necessarily what they want to know..." This resonates somewhat with Jung’s preface to the I Ching -

The I Ching insists upon self-knowledge throughout. The method by which this is to be achieved is open to every kind of misuse, and is therefore not for the frivolous-minded and immature; nor is it for intellectualists and rationalists. It is appropriate only for thoughtful and reflective people who like to think about what they do and what happens to them...

In the exploration of the unconscious we come upon very strange things, from which a rationalist turns away with horror, claiming afterward that he did not see anything. The irrational fullness of life has taught me never to discard anything, even when it goes against all our theories (so short-lived at best) or otherwise admits of no immediate explanation. It is of course disquieting, and one is not certain whether the compass is pointing true or not; but security, certitude, and peace do not lead to discoveries.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index