A Very British Witchcraft

159 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 27, 2013, 21:03
I agree with you that it would be a shame to lose different viewpoints, they are the basis of interesting discussion and new ideas, but
TMA does have an archaeology aspect, which is always going to be quite science or fact-based. So stating that such-and-such is factually correct is always going to raise the possibility of challenge, the same as it would if presented to any group of "experts" on any subject.

But TMA is full of posts about peoples' experiences, and folklore (fairies, giants, goblins) and theories! So there's clearly a place for all of that, just perhaps not if argued as "fact". As an aside, there is a very prickly David Icke/lizard people thread going on over on U-Know! at present, where (very very unsavoury) opinion is definitely being expressed as fact. I wouldn't bother going to look though :)

I appreciate Roy's view that if someone experiences something it's "true" for them, but that isn't really the same thing as being demonstrable as fact. I don't want to go round that particular loop again though, it's been done to death elsewhere and achieved no agreement!

Anyway, I don't imagine anyone wants to see AC stop posting in this bit of the forum.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index