Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 16, 2011, 15:02
anthonyqkiernan wrote:

I'm quite interested in why folk would think the (relatively) 'sung' can do with a reappraisal or a sideways look.

Exactly. Surely it's more interesting to take a fresh look at supposedly 'disappointing' LPs by highly rated artists, hence the two reviews of 'Electric Cafe' and my review of 'Smiley Smile'. Also the lesser-known, more experimental sides of commercially successful acts, which may appeal more to the Head Heritager than the hits. When I reviewed the Pet Shop Boys' one-off attempt at psychedelia it was a toss-up between that and their limited edition 'Relentless' LP which accompanied first pressings of their poppiest album 'Very' but by contrast was 6 extended pieces of minimal electronica, and was certainly less 'commercial' than, say, 'The Man Machine'. My actual choice would have been redundant had Jason's review of 'Alternative' not been hounded off the site.

Looking back at old discussions on this forum, I was shocked to see Holy McGrail threatening some time ago to delete various reviews which supposedly broke the rules, including Dog 3000's 'negative' review of ELP's 'Trilogy', which was brilliantly spot on in capturing that group's strange appeal. Hasn't Copey himself celebrated rock music's ability to be wondrously idiotic? I'm glad the cull didn't happen.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index