Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 13, 2011, 10:47
I'm all for leftfield takes on something - so a mainstream LP could be selected and I think I've argued that point before. I don't think the reviews of stuff like 'Journeyman' by Eric Clapton really added much to the site. I didn't have a temptation to discover the transcendental joys of 'Bad Love' and 'Pretending' again...

Written in Spanish or not, it's odd that an Earth LP out tomorrow is considered "Unsung" - and all the reviews I've read of Dylan Carlson & co's latest have been rather generous. The cliche of "best album yet" is even surfacing...

I can understand older Unsung reviews featuring titles that might very well have entered the vomiting inducing "canon" of classic albums as they may have been reissued since, or had a 33 1/3 book or something like that. But more recent reviews on classics seem a bit pointless - a review of Y by The Pop Group seems a bit pointless following its 2007 reissue and the prior excitement of a chapter in Simon Reynolds' Rip It Up & Start Again. Another Pop Group-release or something from Mark Stewart would make more sense. A review of Metal Box, Cut or Chairs Missing, no matter how passionate or well written, probably wouldn't cut the mustard now. Are we being told about a record that is under the radar etc? The moral considerations thing cited below is another reminder...and I'm sure that I've got carried away over something and posted on an LP that in retrospect wasn't that Unsung.

The selections may become harder with time, especially as everyone knows everything these days and lots gets reissued...but there are still titles that must be deleted or slipped through the net. I'd rather read those and have a chance of finding something that hasn't already been creamed over en-mass: there are fine Animal Collective albums prior to the last couple that got gushing reviews and found a place in the end of year polls...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index