Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 12, 2011, 21:38
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I've been browsing Unsung as I feel compelled to do a few Unsung reviews some time soon and am slightly baffled at the selections appearing. Particularly odd are selections that include albums raved over at the time (Lazer Guided Melodies) or recent albums that were critically well received all of a few months ago (Salem's King Night - the NME or someone started some stupid Witch-core scene). & These New Puritans' Hidden ain't remotely Unsung - getting great reviews at the start of 2010 and turning up in many an end-of-year poll - # 5 in the Guarniad and LP of the year in the NME!!!!

A lot of what I'm about to say has already been touched on in this thread, but as the writer of the These New Puritans review, I'd like to add my ha-penneth...

Firstly, I wrote the TNP review quite soon after it had come out, and certainly before all the end of year polls. Yes, it got some great reviews at the time, but there's plenty of albums that have sunk without trace despite receiving similar praise.

But my main point is that this is all about context, something that I think was pretty clear if you'd read the review. I wanted to big up an album that I was really excited about to an audience that might not necessarily think it was their thing, but that I thought deserved HHers' attention. That might sound terribly presumptious on my part, but I know from my own experience how easy it is to miss out on great music because you assume it just isn't aimed at you or outside your usual terms of reference or whatever.

In other words, while it might not be 'unsung' in being old or unknown, I thought that there was a good chance that people on this forum (the only music forum I'm a member of) might not investigate it or think it worth checking out. I've been introduced to a lot of good music via HH and just wanted to return the favour.

Yes, there's no doubt a load of stuff on the reviews section where I'd roll my eyes and think 'surely everyone's heard that' or 'that's too mainstream', but you know, everything's subjective...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index