Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2011, 19:04
Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 12, 2011, 18:55
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Apologies, Ian. Completely mis-interpreted what you were saying there - glad you explained what you meant a bit more fully.

S'ok. I have spent a lifetime getting the wrong end of the stick.

I actually hate the idea of any music being reduced to a museum piece and that there being a Wynton Marsalis style edict or consensus as to what is and isn't Rock n Roll and what is and isn't worthy of the pantheon. There is some stuff that we really need to kick out off the top table in my opinion and there are some artists and records that need to be moved back into the spotlight and it will probably take a new genration to come forward and say "actually this record or that record that you lot love is really a pile of crap". I am not getting into which artists or records right now and it might end up being the stuff I love that ends up on the outside looking in. Politcs and societal changes in general inevitablly have a big influence on how these things go in any case.

For example if we are really in for a decade of Thatcher 2 - The Sequel then the "lets talk about me" school of singer songwriter could go totally out of critical fashion which could see a lot of much loved and crtically acclaimed records back on the naughty step only to get rediscovered in another 20 years. Or suppose political radicalism goes totally straight edge / new puritan and drugs are considered hugely bourgeois. What price Can or the Elevators or Syd in those circumstances?

It's also a little like that Cope thing where he talks about playing Scot Walker to someone and hearing it through their ears and it never sounding quite the same or as good again.

I think it might take a new generation to reevaluate some of the critical opinions that we take for granted almost as received wisdom and that will totally change the concept and content of Unsung.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index